Wednesday, July 26, 2006

46 Hours

Well... we're back! But not for long... 46 hours actually. Cayley and I have 46 hours in Adelaide to catch up on emails, pay bills, do laundry, pack, and grocery shop for the next adventure. Let me catch you up on the last one.

What a time!

Well, we started out with a 24 hour train ride on the famous Ghan to Alice Springs. We packed for Darwin = bloody hot. Alice Springs was....NOT! So with the 2 sweaters...and one extra I brought as a stow away unbeknownst to my traveling companion (thank goodness!), we bundled up and braved the daaaaang cold.

We went to the Camel Cup!! Woo hoo! It was hilarious. Camels running everywhere, people bouncing higher, and winners falling. Okay, so first race, a girl won, but accidentally and disgracefully dismounted her camel just after the finish line. That's right, she FELL OFF! Oh gosh.. I laughed so hard! Next race was the honeymooner race. Camels start sitting, run half way around the track, stop, sit down again, and the riders pick up their wives, the camel jumps up and they finish the race. The first camel didn't stop at halfway. He went BARRELLING through the crowd of people to the finish line. Again - I howled with laughter aka my "Bauer Honk", which by the way is a dominating sound in the background of all the videos I took.

Well, after a day at the markets and hanging out at the kangaroo-joey rescue center (we got to cuddle all the baby joey's. - mine, Jimmy was only 4 months old), back on the train. Another 24 hour train ride to Darwin. Darwin was hot hot! FINALLY!!!

So, we didn't have a hostel booked. We hoped that it would be like everywhere else and there would be a whole bunch of them lined up at the station ready to take you home...Not the case. Pretty much every bed in Darwin was booked. Two guys came from one hostel though, looking for 2 other girls who had reserved beds...they didn't show up. No, we didn't pretend to be them, although, it did cross our minds, haha. Either way, we asked if we could catch a ride to town with them so they didn't go back empty handed. The city was 26km away and everyone was expected to pay for the shuttle $10 we didn't have. So we managed a free ride - and turns out they had beds for us for one night anyways. God was on the lookout.

We got to go to a place called Deckchair Cinemas. It was a cinema on right on the beach with all these deckchairs (thank you captain obvious) and we watched a movie! They provided mozzie repellant and pillows. It was cool and we could bring our own picnic.

We did get to go on a tour one day. We went to a lot of waterfalls and got to swim underneath them. We also saw JUMPING CROCODILES! It was cool. So we had Cayley on the top of the boat taking pictures with rapid fire and me on the bottom of the boat taking videos. It was cool! Crocs are big and scary!

We also got to go to a fish feeding place. There are hundreds of fish and they give you bread to feed them. You put your hand just under the water and the fish come and suck the bread out of your fingers, it feels so weird. There were lots of different kinds of fish. Some were a 1.5 meters long - I think that's a big fish.

God knows we're living on a dime and was most definitely watching out for us. God is a great backpacker - did you know that? He knows how to do it cheap. There was a place where we could get great meals for $1. A nice dish (curry, lasagna, lamb casserole - whatever your liking) with a salad for so stinkin' cheap. Heck, we couldn't even cook for that price. It definitely beat PB&J. I think I'm going to vomit peanut butter by the time I get home. Don't get me wrong - I do love peanut butter, but we're pushing it to new levels I think.

Darwin is known for their sunsets...I think. Either way, they were great, although I'm not so sure they compare to Alberta skies. Our sunsets and dancing northern lights is probably as good as it gets. But we managed to see an incredible sunset go down on the water as we were walking along the beach...my Cayley and I...aww, how romantical. The markets were on that night, so the place was packed out. People bring everything for anything. It was like anyone who had food to sell, junk to sell, or a dog you could pet, they brought it. Cayley and I were in our glory either way.

The week consisted of lots of sunburning and reading. It was lovely. It was much more of a holiday than Perth was. Perth was adventure. Darwin was relaxing. I'm sure there is much I left out, but that's to give you an idea of our trip for those of you who keep telling me you're living through my blog. Don't want to disappoint those and don't want to bore the others.

2 Comments:

Blogger hotrodent said...

Sounds great!!! Can't wait to see all the pictures and movies from your trip!!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Keller said...

The camel race sounds good. I just read a book where one of the characters was from Alice Springs... it's a small world... especially when you mix fiction and fact. Sounds exciting!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home