Thursday, June 08, 2006

Welcome to Paradise

Hey Everyone! Here we go again!

So, we have finally arrived in Paradise! (that's the name of our town). I'm going to write about events leading up to our arrival though.

1. The toilets actually do not flush in one direction or the other. It is more like a fountain of water that just gushes down! It doesn't swirl.




2. We went surfing! As we were getting ready to go to the beach, we put on winter coats and toques. Okay, so to give you an idea of my luck, here's how surfing went. The instructor gave us each a suit. Mine was wet - has anyone tried to put on a soaked wetsuit? So I got it on, turned around for someone to zip it up for me, and everyone started howling with laughter! I thought, what? There was a giant hole in the rear of my wetsuit. Sheesh! So I got another one after I finally got the other one peeled off. Got the other one on. Turned around and hear "AHAHAHAHAH!!!!" What the heck happened now?! You have another hole! This one was like a stretch of hole across my buttocks. So the guy decided to just give me another one to put over top. It was a shorter one, but then I was wearing 2 wetsuits. It was getting a little thick and touching my toes became a difficult task. So we had blue shirts to go over top to tell all the other surfers "beware! NEWBIES!" Ashley and Cayley's were huge...mine.... too small, to go over my double wetsuits to boot. Then the whole lesson, the instructor called me "double". Needless to surfing was incredible. Hard but great. Half way through the lesson, the sun went down and it started to rain. AWESOME!




3. We went to a place called "the farm". I don't know why it's called that, but it is. It was this incredible beach. What a view! The waves, the sky, the sand, the cliffs! Amazing! I stood there on the sand with my pant legs rolled up (after my Aussie friend so nicely pointed out "HOW WHITE ARE YOUR LEGS?!" with the accent of course!) just awestruck at the landscape before me. As I watched the waves barrel over and over again, I couldn't help but think how powerful they were. Then just imagine - if the waves are powerful, how powerful is our God who created those waves! It is far beyond my comprehension. As we were leaving, I needed to wash my feet off because they were covered in sand. I stepped closer to the water and with one wave - it was all washed away. That is what God wants for me. He wants to take away all of my fears and burdens and anything that gets in the way of Him and I and with one breath, He can wash it all away. What an amazing God we serve!

4. We went into Sydney finally and sightseed for the day. In the evening, we went to an actual opera in the actual Sydney Opera House! Everyone goes to see it, but who goes to an opera! So we did that. It was all dancing - some weird - all cool - it was a great time. Sydney at night is also an amazing sight.

5. So finally - we are starting our trek to Paradise. We got to the airport and had a bit of a scare. Cayley and I had kept our passports in the same place so that the two were together. Somewhere between switching bags, mine got muddled into a less obvious place. So while we were trying to check in for our flight - Megan's passport is missing. Holy crap. Only me! I think Cayley panicked more than I did. I knew it had to turn up somewhere. Same thing happened at the beginning of my trip. My auntie lost my passport - but it turned up. Anyways - found it, we once again laughed. Her and I are good for that.

THEN I SAW MY PARENTS!!!!! Wonderful. And then my brother. Oh lovely lovely family.
And on a side note - I think my parents are even more in love than when they left. They are so cute!

I had many pictures to put up, but there are technical difficulties.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are having a great time, and thank you for the input about the toilet output.

I've heard that surfing is lots of fun. Of course, I would have to actually GO to an ocean before I could every try surfing.

I'm a little curious. If you were supposed to wear shorts OVER the wetsuit, then why not just wear the shorts to cover the hole in your bottom instead of wearing 2 whole wetsuits PLUS a pair of shorts?

10:17 AM  
Blogger Keller said...

If the beginning of your trip is this much fun, imagine what the rest of the summer holds! I'm sure you'll have plenty of stories to blog about and pictures to go with them. It is also cool for you because you are living in our future. Interesting...

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i absolutely love that picture of you guys and the waves.... oh and mike never told me you were on msn until you were gone... stupid boy... you should bite him not me... i would have loved to talk to you...

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home