Monday, November 07, 2005

Suicidal Fish

My fish is suicidal...can anyone help me?

So I've been telling people for quite some time now, that I think I have a depressive suicidal fish...I don't think anyone believed me. He is a fighting fish and unfortunately, can see his reflection in the bowl. So he fights with this strange fish in the glass, and fights all day long until he is completely exhausted.

Last night, Charlie (my fish) looked a little extra depressed. He was moping on the bottom more than usual and on his side, which is out of the ordinary. He was breathing very heavily, almost a wheeze I would say, and I was quite concerned. His water was getting a bit cloudy and so I set some water on the counter to sit for the night and I would change it in the morning.

I did just that. In the morning before my class at stupid o' clock in the morning, I changed Charlie's water and he was back to the go lucky fighting fish that he never is. However, when I got home at 11:00am, I just happened to look in on my delightful man of a fish to see how he was doing, and I couldn't find him..

He likes to play tricks on me and hide under the rocks, so I took the bowl into the kitchen to get something to delicately poke the rocks around to free him from the trap at the bottom. I poked and poked and started to panic. I could not find my fish anywhere!!

THEN, I decided to look on my desk, maybe, like in the movie "Amelie", he tried to commit suicide and jump out, I thought. I was thinking, my goodness that would be horrible to see my poor little fishman lying lifeless on the desk. So I went to look, and I SCREAMED!!!! There lay my poor motionless purple fish on the desk. I was mortified!! And shouted at my roommate, "Pick him up!! Put him in the bowl!!!" She reassured me he was dead and did not think the bowl was a good place for a dead fish. And I insisted he be put back in his home. So she did....AND HE MOVED!!!!!
(Those are his shmeg remains he left on my desk)

Charlie is alive. He is beyond traumatized, but alive. All we can do now is pray, and hope that Kyle doesn't have to write a fish-o-bit for Charlie.

10 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Bad News: Charlie didn't make it. 5 hours after the 'incident' he was pronounced dead... I should really flush him soon.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Poor Charlie, I'm sorry to hear that Megan. But instead of flushing him here is some handy hints: 1) turn him into a nice sea food dish.
2) make a nice necklace
3)Make game called ' finding Charlie' instead of 'finding nemo'.
4)Remember Christmas is just around the corner and you'll be needing extra gifts. Just put him in water then in a box, and when they open it to find a dead fish act really sad and cry a little. That way you ment well but he died along the way.
Just think about the endless things to do with him, and he'll never really be gone.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

My Joy! Those are brilliant ideas! I can't believe I ever thought Charlie dying was a bad thing! Thank you for those innovative ideas.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

I'm sorry megan, I was trying to cheer you up.(poorly, I guess) I would be sad if my newt were to die. Maybe you have to think of Charlie being in a better place with clean water that never goes cloudy and lots of other real fish to fight with, without them killing one another. And how cold our homes are getting for the poor animals. I think Newt has a cold, and I would have never wished that upon Charlie.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Superjan said...

I wish our beta would die already. I'm sick of changing his water.

11:30 AM  
Blogger ° ÐãVeØ ° said...

You guys are freakin' hilarious.
Oh Megglesworth, I'm sorry your fish was suicidal. That's plain sad.
Joy, you have a newt? That's sadder.
But seriously, I'm thinking about buying another one to send over to you from England. How bad did you say the Canadian postal service was?

8:15 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Canada Postal Service? Oh Gosh...It's bad... As much as I would adore a fish with a British accent, I doubt it would make it. Love the thought though.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Keller said...

I'm so sorry to have to read about Charlie. Surrounded by the beauty of the mountains here in Banff, I'm terribly distressed that I cannot make a trip to Edmonton for the funeral.

Just look at it this way... Charlie is partying it up with Abby II. What better life could you ask for? Charlie made his mark in your life.

Please allow me to help you pick out a fish that is actually going to bring you true joy, and one that doesn't suffer from suicidal tendencies.

The song I've chosen for Charlie is by Caedmon's Call. "Suicidal Stones". I'm going to cry now... but I have to leave this internet cafe first.

2:42 PM  
Blogger mike said...

I think the British fish would make it... as for its accent im not sure how you'd tell what that was but you could have hours of fun trying!

I liked finding charlie idea (although I can see how it may cause some awkward emotional issues)or you could leave him out to dry then pin him to a page and put him in a frame with a little plaque on thus commemerating his life and being able to look upon him with fondness for years to come!

Am now thinking that last bit might have been a bit insensitive so, seein as i'll probably post it anyways, i'd like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere condolences for you loss.

Mike (daveo's roommate... in case you didnt know)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Well Mike, you are insensitive...Just kidding, no worries. Thanks for droppin' by the spot..

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home